Popular Pages How Do I... Apply Check Status Find Get Involved Pay Report Request See About Bellevue City Profile Economic
Human Services Neighborhoods Planning Initiatives Accessibility City Hall Emergency City Government Departments Public Safety Publications Services A-Z
Available Languages

News Release

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Openings on Bellevue's boards and commissions

The City Council is seeking candidates for vacancies on Bellevue's Arts, Environmental Services, Human Services and Transportation commissions, as well as its Library Board and Parks and Community Services Board. You can apply online. Applications are due by Friday, April 21.

Made up of volunteers and appointed by the mayor with City Council concurrence, Bellevue's board and commission members serve four-year terms, offering their time and expertise to help shape Bellevue's future. Bellevue boards and commissions advise the council and conduct regularly-scheduled public meetings.

Arts Commission: Advises and makes recommendations to the council on matters of art with the goal of enhancing the cultural experience of Bellevue. The commission advises on the city's Public Art Program, directs funding to arts organizations working in Bellevue and helps with cultural planning. The commission meets on the first Tuesday of each month at 4:30 p.m.

Environmental Services Commission: Advises the council on water, wastewater, storm and surface water and garbage programs in the following areas: planning, budget and rates, capital financing, contracts and policies. The commission meets on the first Thursday of each month at 6:30 p.m.

Human Services Commission: Advises the council concerning human services planning and funding. The commission is charged with representing the diversity of the community and provides the public with opportunities to be involved in commission activities. The commission meets on the first and third Tuesday of each month at 6 p.m.

Library Board: Serves as an advisory body to the King County Library System. The board makes periodic reports and recommendations to the City Council and city manager regarding library services. The board meets the third Tuesday of each month at 5 p.m.

Parks and Community Services Board: Advises the council on parks and open space issues such as park planning, design and construction, development, redevelopment and renovation, enterprise management and natural resources, land stewardship and environmental education. The board also advises the council on policies regarding community services issues such as recreation opportunities, cultural diversity, community centers, Parks & Community Services Department-related special events and probation services. The board meets the second Tuesday of each month at 6 p.m.

Transportation Commission: Advises the council on transportation-related issues. Members are responsible for studies, analyses and reports as required by the Traffic Standards Code or as requested by council. Commissioners review and make recommendations to the council on topics such as the Transportation Facilities Plan, changes to the Traffic Standard Code, long- and short-range funding programs, the Capital Investment Program and Transportation Improvement Program project prioritization. The commission meets the second Thursday of each month at 6:30 p.m.  An additional monthly meeting may be needed if workload warrants, in which case it will be on the fourth Thursday of the month.

With the exception of the Environmental Services Commission, applicants must be residents of Bellevue. For the Environmental Services Commission, applicants must live within the Bellevue Utilities service area. Residents of newly annexed areas are particularly encouraged to apply. The City of Bellevue values diversity.

People who do not want to apply online can pick up community service applications from the City Clerk's Office, the Service First desk at City Hall, the Bellevue Regional Library, the Lake Hills Library or Mini City Hall at Crossroads Shopping Center. A faxed copy may be requested by calling 425-452-6806.

Applications must be received by the City Clerk by 5 p.m., April 21. Applications may be submitted by any of the below listed options:

If additional information is desired about the role and responsibilities of any of these boards or commissions, please call Deputy City Clerk Karin Roberts at 425-452-6806.

Return to News Release Index

Customer Assistance